Job Title: Food Service Cook
Work Schedule: Weekdays, week-ends and holidays as assigned. Available anytime during the hours of 5:30am to 9:30pm
Exemption: Full Time: Non-exempt
Pay Rate: $12.00 p/hour minimum or more based on experience
Primary Purpose of Job
Perform diversified duties to prepare, cook, and portion servings of meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, and soups; prepare salads and desserts
- Education: High School Diploma/GED, and/or equivalent combination of experience and education; culinary degree preferred.
- Experience: Two years of experience with food service industry or combination of 1 year experience and 1 year of culinary education.
- Other: Read the English language.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides efficient and attractive food service for all Residents and community customers, regardless of diet, preparation requirements.
- Plans cooking schedules to assure the optimum flavor, texture and temperature of the food is maintained while serving in a timely manner.
- Prepares food according to RBJH standardized recipes. Tests cooked foods by taste and smell to determine if properly cooked and seasoned.
- Our cooks usually serve the meals. Assists on serving line if necessary.
- Detects and reports defective equipment, substandard or spoiled foodstuffs to supervisor.
- Follows established safety regulations, maintains equipment and work area in a clean, sanitized and orderly condition per Food Services’ sanitation matrix.
- Adheres to established kosher guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Utilize various culinary machines to carry out position responsibilities.
- Function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with Residents, personnel and support agencies.
- Communicate in an understandable manner with Residents, staff, visitors, volunteers, and provide outstanding customer service.
- Communicate with Residents who have impairments such as aphasia or dementia.
- Communicate appropriately with Residents, facility employees, family members, medical staff, consultants, volunteers, government agencies/personnel and the public.
- Tactfully handle situations with Residents, personnel, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, support personnel and the public.
- Keep all Resident, employees and facility information confidential at all times.
- Manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Sit, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, perform fine and gross movements with the hands/fingers and move about intermittently throughout the workday.
- Sit for long periods at a time.
- Push, pull or lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must wear department uniform and wear slip resistant shoes.
- No open shoes.
- No fingernail polish.
- No long fingernails.
- Hair net or hat worn while in the food preparation area.
- Will be working around spills, chemicals and with knives.
- Work in well-lighted and ventilated office area(s), as well as throughout the facility (i.e., medication rooms, nurses’ stations, Resident rooms, dining areas, etc.)
- Subject to frequent interruptions.
- Subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including exposure to blood-borne pathogens including the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
- Subject to hostile and emotionally upset Residents, family members, personnel and visitors.
- Must be able to assist in the evacuation of Residents.
Customer Service Statement
Of the utmost importance is attention to excellent customer service. How we interact with clients, Residents, co-workers, community members and vendors impacts our reputation and affects our future. It is expected of all employees to complete their responsibilities with a positive attitude, enthusiasm and always-showing dignity and respect toward those we interact with.
The Rose Blumkin Jewish Home is a nonprofit, Jewish-sponsored nursing home for short-term rehabilitation and long-term care in Omaha. We also offer hospice and respite services. We strive each day to make Rose Blumkin Jewish Home the very best living and work environment for residents, their family members, our teammates and all who share our services.
We always want to meet talented people. The Rose Blumkin Jewish Home provides a nursing home workplace that expresses what we value most − integrity, trust, quality care, compassion and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others. If this sounds right, we’d love to talk to you.
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)