Employed by: The Jewish Federation of Omaha
Agency: The Jewish Community Center
Supervisor: Aquatics Director
Work Schedule: Monday-Sunday; mornings, afternoons, or evenings
Primary Purpose of Job
Responsible for ensuring the safety of members and guests when they are in or around the indoor or outdoor pools and responding to emergencies. Must be professional, attentive, and alert while guarding and patrolling the deck at all times.
- Minimum of 15 years of age
- Current certifications in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge and application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques
Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrives on time and ready to work assigned shift.
- Finds appropriate substitute for assigned shift when not able to work the regular hours scheduled.
- Wears full and proper uniform to work, which includes the current JCC lifeguard suit, shorts, and lifeguard shirt.
- Positions oneself in the appropriate chair or standing position for optimal viewing and scanning procedures while guarding. Uses only approved lifeguard chairs and never guards from lawn or lounge chairs.
- Prevents emergencies whenever possible. Remains alert and attentive while guarding on deck. Assesses potentially dangerous situations before they become dangerous or elevated. Keeps the deck free and clear of all dirt and clutter; addresses various types of behavior such as aggressive, inappropriate, or rough housing; assesses the skill level of swimmers and determines appropriate area of pool per their skills.
- Responds to emergencies quickly and professionally; utilizes the proper lifeguard and rescue procedures to ensure the optimal outcome. Leads or assists rescue effort, if called upon as required by another guard, member, or staff person. Assesses each situation and determines with the team individual roles for various situations.
- Knows and discerns the JCC Pool Emergency Plan at any/all times in the event an emergency occurs.
- Enforces the facility policies, rules and regulations consistently, promptly, and fairly. Assists other guards or staff to support enforcing rules.
- Maintains a professional and positive rapport with members and guests. Communicates with members in a polite and confident manner, and explains policies and practices in a way that enables members understand a situation or rationale for a policy.
- Assists the Manager on Deck (MOD) in the completion of chemical records and accident/incident reports and performs these tasks independently, if required.
- Performs all opening and closing procedures completely and thoroughly, as assigned by the MOD. Follows the Opening and Closing Procedure checklist.
- Performs additional duties throughout the day consisting of cleaning the deck, filters, or arranging equipment or supplies.
- Informs the Aquatics Director of situations that need immediate attention, including injury or accident reports, emergencies, rescues or saves, pool closings due to chemical, fecal or other reasons, and all behavioral situations requiring follow up with members, staff, parents, or law enforcement personnel.
- Maintains current certifications throughout employment.
- Attends mandatory meetings and in-service training such as all pre-season orientations, group re-certifications, weekly trainings during the summer, monthly trainings during the fall and spring semesters, and any additional in-service trainings deemed required by the Aquatics Director or Executive Director of the JCC.
- Signs in and out for lifeguard, group, and/or private swim lessons.
- Responds professionally and immediately to direction given by Aquatics Director or MOD.
- Assists in every way to help the entire Aquatics Department develop a “culture of safety”, by :
- Participating in regular training, audits and testing with a positive and professional attitude;
- Accepting feedback, listening to observations, and responding immediately to recommendations from the Director or MOD;
- Understanding the more we test ourselves, the safer we become as a team;
- Being aware and open to ideas and procedures implemented at other facilities throughout the country helps the JCC to develop and train its staff to be among the best in the country.
- Requires normal physical capabilities, including lifting or carrying light loads, reaching and standing, or sitting for extended periods of time. Requires being physically fit in order to participate in a wide variety of activities. Requires stamina to work long periods in a physically active environment. Requires dexterity with hands, speech, corrected hearing and vision within normal range.
- Works in a well-lighted indoor pool year round and outdoor pool during the summer months (May-September). The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high depending on the number of members using the facility.
Customer Service Statement
The Lifeguard shares in the JCC’s commitment to provide excellent customer service to its members and behaves professionally in all of his/her relationships with members and guests. Lifeguards take the time to learn the names of as many individuals as possible and makes sure individual members are pleased with the services and programs provided by the JCC.
Every effort has been made to make this job description as complete as possible. It in no way states or implies that these are the only duties required. Other duties apply that are assigned.
The Jewish Community Center has been a big part of Omaha for more than eight decades! We opened our doors in 1925, and still today, continue to serve everyone in the community with our state-of-the-art facilities, outstanding programs and dedicated staff.
We're so glad that so many members of our Omaha community participate in JCC programs. On any one day at the "J" you can see the full range of activities for children as young as 6 weeks old to seniors in their 90's still keeping active and fit.
Compare us to anybody in town. We’re confident you’ll want to be part of a place where you can enjoy our staff, other members, and our exceptional facilities and programs.
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)